Wednesday, August 22, 2012

changes made.....new curriculum......

We are definitely a homeschool family! Our plans have changed. Earlier this summer, I sat down and decided what our school year would consist of. I had it all laid out and knew just what we would start with the day after Labor Day. Well, after alot of thinking and praying, I feel I have been led to change our science and history. Everything else will stay the same as planned. We will continue using our Language Lessons, Words of the Week, and other copywork from Queenhomeschool. The bugs will also continue using Life of Fred and Math for a Living Education for math.

Recently I purchased two new books. The Prairie Primer and The Zoo Guide: A Bible-Based Handbook to the Zoo. These will be our science and history curriculum for at least this semester.

 The Prairie Primer: Literature Based Unit Studies Utilizing the "Little House" Series

The Prairie Primer by Margie Gray is a literature-based unit studies utilizing the "Little House Books" series. There are nine units in the Primer - one corresponding to each nine "Little House" books. We will be using this as our history this year. We are so excited about this. I have also found a Prairie Primer Binder-Builder Lapbook.

Prairie Primer Binder-Builder Lapbook

It is a lapbook done in a binder instead of folders. It covers the first three books: Little House In The Big Woods, Little House On The Prairie, and On The Banks of Plum Creek.

I also purchased a cookbook entitled, The Little House Cookbook. I think I am more excited about this book than the bugs!
The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
 
 
For our science, I purchased Zoo Guide: A Bible-Based Handbook to the Zoo from Answers in Genesis. It is a wonderful book that will give your students and children a biblical understanding of creation that refutes the evolutionary perspective zoos so often promote. This book features more than 100 animals. It has beautiful pictures, amazing facts and design features that point to our  AWESOME CREATOR! This will be our science.
 
 



 
We purchased a zoo membership at the beginning of the summer so I thought what a better way to use our membership! We will use this book, along with a visit to the zoo every other week to study science this semester. I am planning on doing a unit study on a different animal every two weeks. We will take our Zoo Guide, pick an animal and learn all we can about that  animal for two weeks. Within the two weeks, we will visit the zoo and physically see the animal we are studying. How fun is that! Everyone is so excited about Science this semester!
 
This is definitely a change from what I had planned but I think it's a good change. We want to learn as much as we can but at the same time, we want to have fun doing it.
 
I am planning on  posting as much as I can on our blog about these exciting and fun things we have planned, so stay tuned!
 
God Bless!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment